Tuesday 14 August 2012

Portfolio Applications


My first portfolio application was for DIT (Dublin Institute of Technology) I applied for Fine Art and for the Visual Communication Course. I simply had to leave it in and then collect it again later that week. This meant a road trip to Dublin, I was lucky enough to have friends already in College in Dublin at the time so I was able to stay with them, I also got the chance to enjoy Dublin night life. The trip made me realise how much I wanted to go to the City next year. My Foundation course was based in the small town of Limavady and the night life was pretty bleak even compared to my home town let alone Dublin.

My next portfolio submission was for IADT (Dun Laoghaire Institute of Art, Design and Technology) once again I stayed in a friends place on DCU campus and this time I got to meet a lot of their college friends and got an idea of what daily college life is like for them, I also got to explore their everyday college surroundings. It was quite expensive getting the bus in and out of Dun Laoghaire to the City Centre this made me consider whether or not I would get the chance to go out in Dublin much if I lived that far out and since there was no campus accommodation would it mean I would miss out on all the fun my friends got to experience in their first year of college?

On my way back from Dun Laoghaire to the City Centre, I had my A1 portfolio with me at the time, a fairly old woman sat beside me on the bus she started asking questions about my portfolio and what sort of subject matter I painted. I didn’t mind really mind so I was chatting away to her and ended up discussing David Hockney and Da Vinci paintings that were currently displayed in London. Turns out she actually volunteered at the National Gallery of Ireland regularly and was on her way to see a painting being retouched, she explained to me that only a certain amount of people were allowed to view it at a time and she then asked  if I had ever enquired about  Summer internships at the Gallery.  I had never considered it before but I am really fascinated by Art History and would love the experience if a place was available.

No comments:

Post a Comment