Tuesday 14 August 2012

The Final Decision


It was at this point that I had an epiphany; I would in fact apply to study English and Art History through arts in UCD. After everything I was going to apply to a course that did not require a portfolio, was not based on painting and could simply be applied for through CAO. UCD also participates in the HEAR scheme which meant I would be entitled to the money each year.

I still had an interview for Fine Art in NCAD (National College of Art and Design) and a portfolio submission for LYIT. I went up and down to Dublin on the one day on my own for my NCAD interview, that place had always been my dream college but for financial reasons and the difficulty of getting in, it just wasn’t going to happen. On my way to the interview I had to go through the Fine Art section of the building, I saw a guy who raised his eyebrow at me as I walking past which blatantly translated as “what are you even doing here” with that in mind I thought to myself maybe I was better off not going there. I did however spot another guy randomly walking around with a saw, he was nice enough to show me where to go without looking down on me and gave me hope that NCAD was actually as wonderful as I previously thought it was. I also left my portfolio at the LYIT (Letterkenny Institute of Technology)  on the submission  day, I live outside Letterkenny  anyway  so I didn’t see any harm in it.

So after that hectic year of decision making and changing my mind I have completed my Art foundation course, received my Diploma, met a lot of great people through it and got the chance to consider all my options. I now feel content and prepared to hopefully head off to Dublin for college.  I’d say next Monday will be an anxious time for a lot of people as well as me, the long wait to find out if they have got their CAO offer or not will finally be over. Last year I had enough points to acquire a place on the course so I’m hoping everything works out and I will be able to start off as a UCD College Student living in Dublin this September. 

No comments:

Post a Comment